Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Wait, Surgery??

   Hey guys! It's Madison! I'm here to share my surgery experience with you! It sounds scary but it's really not. I have a crowded mouth and some people (my dad says about 20%) have to get teeth pulled out for braces, which I'm getting in May. 
   Before the surgery, I was worried a lot. I was mostly worried about the laughing gas. I've heard it's just oxygen and nitrogen but it feels like you're just breathing regular oxygen. Also, when you breathe it in, you don't care what's going on. I thought I would get very sleepy or dizzy and I don't think most people like that. But it was nothing like that. I also thought it would go by fast, which it did. 
   When I got there, I was very nervous. They (the doctor and assistants) ask for information such as asthma, have you had surgery before, and so on. Before you start, they talk to you and ask you fun questions like what you have planned, your favorite subject, favorite movie, etc. It was fun talking to each other, especially when we agreed on something. They take your blood pressure and your pulse as your sitting in your chair. Then they put a rubber mask on your face which for now, just gave you oxygen. They would numb your gums with a jelly that would make it numb. Then, they put this metal thing in your mouth and it made it more numb. When they did that, I felt only a slight amount of pressure. When I was done, they said that was the toughest part, and I was surprised because it was really easy and painless. After that, they put a little nitrogen on and we talked again. Then after I had a break, we were off. I just felt wiggling a pressure and then that's one! You always keep breathing through your nose. The same pressure and wiggling for the others. I could ask for a break anytime I wanted. I didn't feel any pain or sharpness, but if you did, you would need more numbing. After the 3rd one, I was a little tired, but mostly not caring what they were doing. Then, before I knew it, she said I was done! I was shocked! It didn't seem that long! I actually didn't mind if they took another one out!  I had a mouth full of gauze in my mouth, and they went over the procedure of taking care of me and blah, blah, blah. 
  After the surgery I was ok. I rested for about 30 minutes, played on my iPod touch, the iPad mini. I ate some Wegmans vanilla yogurt, which by the way is sooooo tasty, and a delicious mango smoothie. I also had some soup, and more soup for dinner. You feel ok, but of course you can't do cartwheels or whatever (sorry gymnasts). I didn't expect the surgery would be like that. It wasn't bad at all, and nothing to flip out over, 
  Today, I'm feeling fine. Still eating soft foods. I'm just hanging out at home with my crazy dog Kira and my precious kitty Taffy! You'll have to see a pic! If you have to get teeth pulled out, don't sweat it. You'll do great! I'd like to give a shoutout to my friends for seeing if I was feeling good. My neighbors and best friends, Grace and Carissa, stopped by with a card from Carissa saying she was here for me, and a bracelet from Grace. Also, thank you to my best friend in the whole world, Kaylie, for making me feel better even though she is having a blast in vacation. 
  Thank you for reading my blog! We appreciate all the likes on Facebook and are so happy that you want to read about my experience! Don't be afraid of your dental experience, because both the journey and the destination count.  I'll blog more soon 
                                                                                                         -Madison




No comments:

Post a Comment